The Content of Character
“I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.”
~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929-1968)
BENEFITS OF PMK
PowerMoves Kids™ is the ONLY Classroom Program with solutions for
PHYSICAL AND CHARACTER EDUCATION.
Benefits of Physical Education:
"Physically active, healthy kids learn better!"
- The American Heart Association (AHA)
Benefits of Character Education:
“Character education has proven to be a positive force in reducing disruptive behavior, alcohol and drug abuse, and teen pregnancy.
"It reasserts the responsibility of schools, parents, and community members to be as concerned with the development of character as we are with the education of the intellect.
"Character education contributes to parental and community involvement, safe and orderly schools, reduced discipline problems, greater academic achievement, and higher student and staff morale.”
- Maryland State Department of Education, Fact Sheet on Character Education
PowerMoves Kids™ meets several requirements for Physical Education Standards, and includes:
● motor and movement skills
● knowledge and application of movement concepts, principles, strategies and tactics
● development and maintenance of physical fitness
● valuing physical activity
● full-body stretching
● postures which require balance and coordination
● using all muscles of the body
● helping students learn to safely extend their range of motion
● promotion of self-discipline, concentration and increased attention span
● developing physical strength, flexibility and healthy bodies
● relaxation and self-control
● aspects of stress management
● learning about anatomy and physiology
● revitalizing students when their vigor is low
● helping to develop good posture and body alignment
● linking learning to movement, addressing bodily-kinesthetic intelligence
See Examples from the PMK Teacher's Manual and Curriculum HERE
Learn about the creator of the PowerMoves Kids Program, Laurette Willis HERE.
Mariel learns about the Core Value of COURAGE while she does the PMK Strong Heart posture.
Mariel has selected this PMK quote on Courage in both English and Spanish:
"He who is not courageous enough to takes risks will accomplish nothing in life."
"Quien no tiene el valor suficiente para arriegsgarse, no lograra nada en la vida."
- Muhammed Ali (born Cassius Clay), American heavy-weight boxing champion, nicknamed "The Greatest" (1942 - )
FOR BOTH CHARACTER & PHYSICAL EDUCATION
PowerMoves Kids™ meets Character Education guidelines, and includes:
● promotion of core ethical values (a.k.a. virtues or character traits) as the basis of good character
● character traits such as: honesty, caring, responsibility, respect, service and self-discipline
● reciting and memorizing famous quotes and proverbs which exemplify these traits
● opportunity to learn quotes in Spanish as well as English
● understanding of character issues through a variety of curriculum activities
● helping children understand that character includes thinking, feeling and behavior
● student celebrations for good character choices during activities and throughout the school day
● PowerMoves Kids postures become “mnemonic devices” to aid memorization and internalization of quotes
● acknowledges students’ positive self-motivation
Components of the PowerMoves Kids™ Program can be used in small increments in the classroom – as a “value-added stretch break” – or for 5, 10 or 20 minutes, even as a 40-minute class period (using the accompanying Teacher’s Curriculum with 48 Mix n’ Match Lessons).
86% of American Adults
May Be Obese By 2030
From Medical News Today
Roughly 86 percent of Americans age 18 and older may be overweight or obese by 2030 and related health care costs would double every decade and could reach $956.9 billion in 2030 - 1 of every 6 health care dollars spent -- according to a study published online by the journal, Obesity.
Overweight is defined as having a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 25 to 29.9.
Obesity and overweight are especially worrisome because of their impact on quality of life, premature death, and health care, as well as associated costs.
If the rise in current rates of overweight and obesity continue, as most experts believe they will, future adults may have shorter life-spans than the current generation.
THIS CAN & MUST BE STOPPED!
According to the researchers, half of U.S. adults, as a whole, will become obese, as will 97 percent of black women and 91 percent of Mexican-American men by 2030.
The authors also estimate that by 2022, about 80 percent of adults may be overweight or obese, and 100 percent could be by 2048. But the prevalence will reach 100 percent in black women by 2034.
Moreover, nearly one third of all U.S. children and adolescents could become obese (body mass index is greater than the 95th percentile) by 2034, and the prevalence could increase to half by 2070.
African-American girls and Mexican-American boys are especially vulnerable--four in 10 may become overweight or obese by 2030, and half by 2050.
We can make a difference. Today.
DOWNLOAD PowerMoves Kids Tri-fold BROCHURE HERE (print as 2-sided copy)